Adjusting to a new schedule

Friday, August 30, 2013
So three days ago I switched to working nights. Just two days before that I worked my last early shift, which is a seven o'clock start and means getting up anywhere between five and six in the morning.

Now I sleep from about 8/9am to about 2/3pm, with a nap between 6 and 8 pm. It's a very different schedule, and it'll take a lot of getting used to. On the days I'm working I find myself with very little time, taking out sleeping and travelling I have about three hours left over for writing, eating, and everything else.

So far I like it a lot better than working days. I still need to get used to the sleep schedule. I'm only drifting during the naps, and I don't think I have the energy I did have, but I'm confident that it will get there.

As for writing, I think this will give me more time overall hammering out words. Since I'm living with family, I tend to get lots of visitors into my writing office, and unscheduled interruptions are a major annoyance to my OCD tendencies, and there are a lot more distractions. Working at night I hope to be able to focus for longer periods on my days off. 

I follow Dean Wesley Smith's blog and have seen that he does most of his writing at night. So it works for some writers. I won't know for a couple of weeks whether it'll work for me, but so far I'm hopeful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment